Sunday, February 22, 2009

Amy Tries to Blind Me

Year: 1990
Place: Raymond, AB
My age: 12

I'm noticing that a lot of these memories take place in Raymond. Interesting place for a small town.

I was at home with three of my sisters. Maybe four. I don't remember exactly, what, with it being 19 years ago and all. Amy was definitely there (see title of this post), and I'm pretty sure Sara and Jenny were there, and maybe Mary. Again, I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, girls. For some reason, I remember it as being a school day, yet we weren't at school, so I might be wrong about that, too. Maybe I should stop writing about memories from 1990.

Anyway, we were in the room that was shared by two of the girls (Amy and Sara, I think). Of course, knowing my family, with it's ample supply of sisters, it may have been shared by three of the girls. We were sitting on one of the beds just shooting the breeze. Typical teenage sibling talk. Amy had this small metal rod, about a foot long and 3 millimeters thick, that was curved into an unsharpened hook at one end. I have no idea what it was for and why it was in the girls' room. She was holding it by the straight end and idly bouncing it up and down while we talked. One of the bounces had a little to much oomph to it, and it bounced up into my eye, sliding effortlessly under my eyelid, completely concealing the blessedly dull hook. With a collective gasp, we all froze, except for Amy who let go of the metal rod, which was probably for the best. We all sat, unmoving, as the hook dangled from my eye, wiggling slightly. After a few seconds, it fell out and landed on the bed. All of it was completely painless and didn't damage my eye at all, but man, it sure felt weird, and the girls (and me, apparently) still talk about it today. In fact, in a recent meme on Facebook in which my friends were posting memories they had of me, Amy said this: "I once, accidently, stuck a hook in one of Mike's eyes -- he was surprisingly calm about it."

Of course, I wear glasses now, so maybe there was damage done.

1 comment:

  1. This still makes my eyes water. I remember the hook very clearly. I was more than 3 mm thick. The hook was almost closed, and I THINK it was used to clean the inside of a flute.
    That could seriously have taken your eye out. Kids are SOOOOO stupid!!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete