Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Amazing Exploding Closet

Year: 1998
Place: St. Albert
My age: 20

After returning to my family after graduating high school in Raymond, I was demoted from my room at the top of the house to the tiny room in the basement.  It wasn't so bad.  It had all the room that a young male adult needed.

For as long as my family had been living in our house in St. Albert, we had water issues.  Every  now and then, the basement would flood a little.  Don't ask me any of the details of the process that I'm going to talk about, because I have no idea how it's supposed to work.  One day, in an attempt to stop future floods, a contractor came out to flush something out.  There was a small open pipe on the roof, and apparently, you can spray water in it at high pressure, and it will flush some sort of system of pipes in the house, and somehow that fixes the flooding problem.  So the guy comes in the morning while I'm in my room getting ready to go to work.  The water he was spraying was really loud in my room.  I figured that the first bend in the pipe must have been right above my closet, so I didn't think too much of it at first.  After a minute, I decided that it was too loud, and I opened my closet to look in and see if there were any leaks.  It was just then, as I stuck my head in the closet, that the closet exploded in a generous shower of water and soaked drywall.

I ran upstairs covered in white globs yelling, "What the hell is going on?!"  My mother saw me, and I informed her that my closet had just exploded on me, and she went outside and told the guy to shut the water off.  After a quick inspection, it was discovered that this system of pipes that I am not knowledgeable enough to describe further didn't exist save for the one long, open pipe leading from the roof of the house straight down to the roof of my unfortunate closet.  A cap was installed on the pipe to prevent any future watery explosions.

4 comments:

  1. I hate that room. That's where I laid with a piece of baby-fingernail in my eye all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish someone would install a cap on me to prevent future watery explosions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although, it would have been funnier if you had said, "I wish someone would install a cap on my pipe to prevent future watery explosions."

    ReplyDelete